Skip to content
Home » Blog » Aron Govil- Learn How to File a Complaint against Your Scammer – The point of filing a complaint is to stop the tax cheater.

Aron Govil- Learn How to File a Complaint against Your Scammer – The point of filing a complaint is to stop the tax cheater.

If you are dealing with a tax cheater, start this process by finding out that he or she is in the United States says Aron Govil. The best way to do this is to go to the IRS website ( and search for their employer identification number (EIN), which will be nine digits starting with the number 28 or 27. You can also find out if the tax cheat owns a sole proprietorship business by searching for his or her name in your state at bizfilings, which will show you all the legal names of businesses operating in your area.

This type of research is important because it means that any complaints you file against your scammer, whether for tax evasion or identity theft, are valid because they are filed under his or her correct EIN.

If you used an attorney to file taxes, he or she should provide you with the relevant information–how to submit complaints, for example, and which government agencies to contact.

Once you have this information you can start filing complaints with federal enforcement agencies.

If your tax cheat was an employee or contracted agent of the Federal Government make sure to file a complaint with the following:

  • Department of Labor
  • Office of Personnel Management
  • Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

If your tax cheat is a contractor, file a complaint with the following:

  • US Agency on International Development (USAID)
  • Bureau of Land Management (BLM)

If you are still having trouble locating information about where to file complaints, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If you cannot find an agency to file your complaint with on this list or on this link, call the FTC toll free and they will help you figure out whom to send it to.

The next step in filing complaints is sending them over e-mail or by fax. After, make sure you include any and all documentation that you used to file your taxes (W-2, 1099s, etc.) and be sure to also include a personal statement about what happened and how it affected you.

One of the best ways to stop fraudsters from continuing their craft is by filing complaints with agencies like the IRS and Federal Trade Commission. Aron Govil says if you know where your scammer lives and work it will make filing the complaint significantly easier because then you can use that information when filling out complaints online or calling Federal agencies directly. However, if this information is not available then there are still steps to take in order to stop fraudsters from practicing their trade.

When filing complaints it is important to be specific about what the scammer did. It will help agents of these federal agencies find and stop them faster than if you just say that someone stole your identity without giving any details on whom, when, or how.

Remember, saving tax dollars also means keeping your own money safe from scammers like tax cheaters.


What if my W-2 was lost or stolen?

If your W-2 was lost or stolen, you should make sure to file a police report in the jurisdiction where it was originally filed.

Filing False Claims with Federal Agencies

“It’s important to remember that many tax cheaters are also involved in other forms of fraud. Like false claims against the government explains Aron Govil. This means that when you file complaints about your scammer. To agencies like the IRS and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They will be able to deal with not only tax evasion. But other areas where this type of illegal activity exists. These include welfare fraud, child support cases, housing assistance cases, disability insurance cases, workers’ compensation claims, and more.”

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

“Beyond filing complaints with the IRS and FTC, you should also contact the FBI. The FBI has jurisdiction over cases involving federal tax evasion. This means that if your scammer has committed this crime. Then they will be able to deal with it in a timely fashion. If you are unsure whether or not your case qualifies for action by the FBI. Call them directly and ask to speak to an agent who works cybercrimes.”


“By filing tax evasion complaints with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Federal Trade Commission, Department of Labor, Office of Personnel Management, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and US Agency on International Development (USAID) you will be doing your part in putting a stop to these criminals says Aron Govil.

“The more people submit complaints about tax cheaters. To federal agencies the sooner we can put an end to this type of fraud. The goal is not only to make sure that these scammers pay for what they’ve done. But also warn others so they don’t become victims themselves.”